Monday, July 19, 2010

The Sins of Our Fathers




Throughout the two years I’ve spent working on this piece, many people have asked me the same question after seeing the show in its present and past incarnations. This question has been asked in varying ways but the center has always been the same, “Was this based on reality?”

Well, I write what I know. So yes, for the most part. It’s somewhat awkward to answer this question in person since I’ve just put my bare life on stage for anyone to see.

Personally, this project was about me not being able to understand the rest of my family. I was the only one born in Canada, the first born generation. We never really saw eye to eye.

There have been nights where I racked my brain on how to fit in. How to respect my elders. How to just be normal.

But I can’t be.

What my father has instilled into me, I will be affected by for the rest of my life. And if I have children, will they be affected by what has been done to me?

I don’t know. It’s definitely gotten better with age though. My father and I get along with a certain understanding that only children with strict parents can grasp. I know he cares for me and that’s all I could really ask from him.

Sylvia Vuong

No comments:

Post a Comment